7/14/2011

John Carter of Mars? Yes, indeed.

So I was putzing around Twitter today, and I am wont to do, and I noticed a major swell in mentions of a John Carter. People seemed to be talking about the trailer for the upcoming movie and having very positive opinions of it. So, being the lemming that I am, I decided to take a look (which you can do here, as well).



After watching it twice, I have to say I am impressed.

I'll admit, I don't know much about this John Carter of Mars. But a little search through Wikipedia eductaed me to the story's origin. Written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the author behind the character of Tarzan, A Princess of Mars (the story in which John Carter is the lead) tells of a man who is transported to Mars and helps to save a civilization.

Yep, this looks like it's right up my alley.

Although the trailer seems in many ways like an homage to Cowboys & Aliens (another movie I'm excited as shit to see), I really dig it. It has a few elements of Prince of Persia, which I didn't hate as much as everyone else, though seeing as how it's also a Disney movie, I suppose that's to be expected. Despite the lead being played by Taylor Kisch who, if you've ever read my blog before you would know, I absolutely despise, I really do think that John Carter is a movie that I would enjoy.

Also, you can download Burrough's original book, A Princess of Mars, for free for any e-reader. I got my copy and I can't wait to dive into it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...