10/21/2014

Bad-Ass Pumpkin Line-Up 2014

It's that time of year again: Halloween! The time when "Pumpkin Spice" and "Candy Corn" flavored-everything hits the stores and amazing pumpkin carvings start coming out of the woodwork. One of my favorite parts of being a blogger is that I have a reason to search out these awesome designs and share them with you. In fact, my Bad-Ass Pumpkin Line-Up feature is probably the only reason I haven't gotten rid of this blog completely.

So without further ado, let's take a look at this year's entries!

Krang/ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:
I've had this one sitting in my Tumblr queue since just after the 2013 edition of BAPLU went live. I found it a little too late to include it then but wanted it to highlight this year's entry. Why? Well, look at it. It's a pumpkin/watermelon hybrid, making it a marvel of artistic design. Seriously, this pumpkin raises the bar for carvers everywhere.

By Mike V Design





















Firefly/Serenity:
Twenty fourteen marks the year that I watched Joss Whedon's Firefly and Serenity for the first time and despite nearly losing my geek cred for taking so long to do so, I absolutely fell in love with it. The the point of obsession. So of course it would be lax of me to not try and find a few Firefly pumpkins to include.

Luckily, the internet didn't let me down. Not only did I find a sweet pumpkin featuring the Serenity, but there's also one of River Tam, the kick-ass heroine played by Summer Glau. In addition, the Fireflyfans.net forum thread also includes stencils so you can make these pumpkins yourself. Shiny! (It had to be done.)

By Joh Wee














By Akaaria

















Cameron / Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Alex Wer is no stranger to this list; I've included a few of his designs in past entries. He came up in my search for Firefly carvings, even though what he has listed as River Tam on his website is clearly not River. It is, however, another character played by Summer Glau: Cameron from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. And the likeness on this design is so damn impressive, it deserved to be included. So enjoy!

By Alex Wer/ The Pumpkin Geek





















Joker/Two-Face
Two classic Batman villains, right here. Not your typical pumpkin carving, these are more like "pumpkin sculptures". You can tell a lot of time, patience, and talent went in to creating these and holy hell did it ever pay off! I would kill to have something like this sit on my stoop during October, but then shed a tear when it got all moldy and squishy and I would have to throw it away. Either way, these are friggin' amazing!

(Supposedly there was a time-lapse video of the artist creating these but sadly, that has since disappeared. I hope it pops up again somewhere as I'd love to watch it.)

By Andy Bergholtz





















By Andy Bergholtz





















Parks and Recreation
I've recently started watching Parks and Rec and it's quickly become one of my favorite shows on TV. Just a shame I got into it so late. So when I stumbled across the Tom Haverford pumpkin, and by extension the Ron Swanson one, both by Loren Solomon, they had to go in. Even if only for the phrase "Trick or Treat Yo Self!" Classic.

By Loren Solomon





















By Loren Solomon





















House
I used to love House M.D. But even though the show is over, it's influence on pop culture remains. Here we have a sweet black-and-photo photo of a Hugh Laurie carving referencing the series' running gag.

Found on LowDownBlog.com





















That's it for this year! We'll see you in about 12 months for the 2015 edition of Bad-Ass Pumpkin Line-Up! And if you're looking for more bad-ass pumpkins, check out our previous entries. They'll be sure to inspire you and get your creative carving juices flowing. (Or ruin your desire to make a killer pumpkin with how awesome they are. Really, it could go either way.)

2013
2012
2011
2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...