6/08/2009

X-Men Origins: Magneto

After watching the first X-Men film yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about the franchise. There was talk a short time ago about a Magneto spin-off, and I do believe, now that Wolverine is in the can and proven to be a success, Magneto's film is moving forward.

Unfortunately, trying to come up with recent news about it online proves unsuccessful for the most part. I did find an article about Bryan Singer wanting to return to directing more X-Men based films, but he kind of insinuates that he isn't interested in doing a Magneto film because he "...lived in that world." (He directed Apt Pupil, a film about a Nazi war criminal, which also starred Ian McKellen.)

The only other news I read about Magneto is back from November of 2008, which talks about David Goyer writing and directing the film, which would be cool with me. David Goyer is a decent director (having done Blade: Trinity), but has proven to be a fantastic writer, with both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight under his belt. Can he do justice to a Magneto film? Yes, I've no doubt.

One thing that I would like to see in X-Men Origins: Magneto is an appearance by Wolverine. It doesn't have to be anything lengthy, but after X-Men Origins: Wolverine showed, Logan played a part in World War II, so it would seen natural that he appears somewhere in Germany, and helps to tie the continuity together. Maybe that's me asking for too much, but I think it would be a nice throw to the fans, not unlike Professor X's short stint in Wolverine.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how they pull off a movie about Magneto. He is certainly one of the most interesting X-villain out there, with a rich, deep history. Will they add Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? Maybe change the history so that he is the reason professor X is bound to a wheelchair? Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...