5/14/2009

Whatever happened to 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'?

So I'm flipping through the channels today and MST3K: The Movie was on Starz. Having not seen an episode of this show in probably years, I decided to watch. Afterwards, I realized why I feel in love with this show when I was 10 years old.

The writing on MST3K was magnificent. The way they rip into those old, bad movies just made my sides hurt from laughing so hard. When this show went off the air was surely a day that went down in television infamy. I wondered whatever happened to it, so I decided to do a little Wikipedia-ing on the subject.

Reading that Wikipedia article, I'm a little pissed off that Joel felt he had to leave. How dare they try to take over his show from him, the guy that started it all? I never enjoyed the show as much after Joel left. Even though I thought Mike was funny, his humor felt too forced, and not as smooth as Joel. It seemed Joel had a more natural talent for comedy and delivery than Mike.

So it makes me happy that he went on to start Cinematic Titanic, a kind of new version of MST3K. What's awesome is that in addition to buying DVDs of their shows right from the site, they have also incorporated a live show, in which they riff on a movie in front of an audience. How awesome is that?

As I watched MST3K: The Movie, I thought it would be a great idea if they brought it back. (Who 'they' would be, however, I'm not at liberty to say.) They could rip on newer horrible movies, like The Shadow or Ishtar. But after reading about it on Wikipedia, I don't think it would be as good. Apparently, Mike and a couple of the guys created something "RiffTrax" where they riffed on a couple of B-movies, but also Transformers and Jurassic Park. So maybe updating MST3K wouldn't work as well as one might expect. But then again, Transformers and Jurassic Park are good, and completely undeserving of being torn apart. That might have something to do with it.

Anyway, I definitely need to watch this again. Luckily, Blockbuster On-line has twelve of the fourteen DVD volumes for me to rent. Each of these volumes has four discs each.

That's a lot of bad movies. I hope my eyes don't start bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...